If you want to experience all the Gulf of Mexico has to offer, you need to spend a little time at the Destin History & Fishing Museum. The museum features a 100-foot wall exhibit showing the Gulf floor in all its color. You can also see a huge antique fishing rod and reel collection, which is one of the most unique in the country. It even features a Penn Reel, which belonged to Ernest Hemingway.
As you walk through the museum, you'll get an idea of what life was like in Destin before electricity. You can visit the original Destin Post Office building next to the museum. The museum also feature The Primrose, which was constructed in 1925 and is the oldest fishing boat still around. Take in the vintage photography collection from early settlers, boats, beach scenes, captains and so much more.
The museum has some future plans, which include:
- Educational Classes
- Additional Exhibits
- A Gift Shop
- Adult and Children's Birthday Parties
- A Lecture Series
- And More!
The museum is closed on Mondays during the fall and spring, but open from 10am to 4pm Tuesday through Saturday. During the summer, it's open Monday through Saturday from 10am to 4pm. The cost of admission is $5 for adults, $4 for seniors and Military and $3 for children. Children under the age of six are free.
Memberships are also available and are tax deductible. An individual membership is $20 a year, family membership is $50 a year, business/club/charter memberships are $100 a year and there are other membership levels, including:
- Sailfish - $250 for a family membership, which includes t-shirts
- White Marlin - $500 for a lifetime membership and includes newsletters, t-shirts and history book
- Blue Marlin - $1,000 for a lifetime membership and includes newsletters, history book and name in bronze in the museum
- Grand Slam - $2,500 for a lifetime membership with the same benefits at the Blue Marlin
- Benefactor - $5,000 and up for a lifetime membership with the same benefits at the Blue Marlin
12273 US Hwy 98, Suite 204 | Miramar Beach, FL 32550
Office: 850-460-2955 | Fax: 850-807-2999