It’s all about being green these days, and Destin beach homes are no exception. From the completely electric Nissan Leaf to the expanse of wind farms producing electricity in West Texas. Being green and increasing sustainability is a trend that doesn’t seem to be going away anytime soon. Perhaps it’s because going green actually saves you green – money that is. If you want to avoid having a heart attack the next time you get your July utility bills, consider putting into effect some of these green tips for your Destin beach home:
1. Clean and replace filters – This goes for clothes dryers as well as your air conditioning vents. Anything with a filter has to work harder when it’s being blocked by a buildup of dust, dirt, or lint, so clear it away and start saving on energy costs.
2. Use CFLs - Replace your incandescent bulbs with compact fluorescent light bulbs, which use an estimated 75 percent less energy and can last up to 10 times longer.
3. Switch to cold-water detergent – And use the cold water setting on your washing machine. With new, cold-water detergents, you can get your clothes just as clean and use up to 90 percent less energy as most of this is consumed while heating up the water in a washing machine.
4. Install a programmable thermostat – You don’t need to blast the A/C while you’re away from the house. Save an easy 10 percent on heating and cooling your home by installing programmable thermostats.
5. Switch to a low-flow – An ordinary toilet can use upwards of 3 gallons every time you flush. New low-flow toilets use only 1.6 gallons per flush and some models even have different buttons to account for liquid and solid waste.